Duke requires researchers to undergo training in order to conduct research with human subjects. This training can be completed by doing one of the following:
- Completing the “History and Ethical Principles” module on the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) website
- Attending a workshop or presentation by IRB staff
- Completing the Duke Medical IRB’s training requirements on CITI
- Completing training from other institutions. Please consult with an IRB staff member and send a transcript of the training you completed.
Currently, this the only training the Campus IRB requires. There are no continuing education requirements.
However, please note that funding sources, such as NIH and DOD, may require researchers to undergo additional training.
To complete the "History and Ethical Principles" module on CITI:
- Go to www.citiprogram.org
- Use the "Log in through my institution" option
- Select Duke University Campus IRB
- Log in using your Duke netID and password
- Click on “Click here to affiliate with another Institution,” search for Duke University Campus IRB and select it. Then, complete your account information. (If you do not see Duke University Campus IRB in your menu please call us)
- Read the "History and Ethical Principles" module and complete the quiz at the end of the module.